tourism [tour-ism] noun
- (noun) The commercial organisation and operation of holidays and visits to places of interest.
hospitality [hos-pi-tal-i-ty] noun
- (noun) The friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.
- (adjective) Denoting a suite or room in a hotel where visitors are entertained, typically at a convention
The visitor economy includes any business that earns it money from visitors to the city, but in the main it includes tourism and hospitality
Brighton and Hove is a tourist destination. You only need to take a walk around Brighton and Hove to notice that every other shop is a café, restaurant, coffee shop, bar, pub, bed and breakfast, hostel or hotel. There is a lot of completion for jobs in this sector and they often tend to be seasonal, temporary, part-time and zero-hours contracts (meaning you have no guarantee of work and are often called in at very short notice). However, it is possible to build a career in this sector and the opportunities are many.
One thing to remember, you need to love working with people and be a good team player!
Here are some examples of jobs in this sector:
- Air Cabin Crew
- Leisure Centre Assistant
- Tourist Information Centre
- Assistant Kitchen Assistant
- Hotel Receptionist
- Waiting Staff
If you’re continuing into further or higher education, please click here to see many other options available to you.