Here’s some advice from the employers we interviewed:
And here are some about the interview questions……
Your interview will be a series of questions designed to find out more about you. Questions they ask you should be open ended to encourage you to answer in full sentences. For example:
- Tell me about…..?
- How did you……?
- Give full answers – avoid saying just yes or no
- Listen carefully to the question – make sure you understand. It’s OK to ask them to repeat the question if you need to hear it again.
- Think before you answer – you can pause to think!
- Provide examples to demonstrate your answers – you need to think about this beforehand so that you are prepared. Try this to help you.
- Don’t ramble or give unnecessary information
- Be Positive! – for example, don’t be critical of your school/college/part-time employer or even yourself.
- Enter into a dialogue – interviews are a two way process
- Be prepared to ask follow up questions yourself and have some questions of your own (link to preparing for interview) to ask
- If you get stuck, pause and say “Would it be possible to have some extra time to think about this?” and ask to come back to it later
- Ask when you will be likely to hear about the outcome of the interview.
- Thank them for their time
- Smile and shake hands when you say goodbye!
And finally, why don’t you try out this virtual job interview to help improve your chances even more.